Friday, May 28, 2010

Recommended Viewing: Viva (2007)


I recently checked out the film Viva (2007) at the suggestion of my friend Michael Shirley. Written and directed by Anna Biller (who also takes on the title role), Viva is a homage to late 60s/early 70s sexploitation film. (Think Radley Metzger or Russ Meyer.) The plot centers around Barbi, a frustrated housewife, who finds herself caught up in the sexual revolution happening in 1972 Los Angeles. I'm not usually that impressed by 60s/70s period movies, but Biller has clearly done her homework. The visual style of the film is stunning and truly evocative of the time period. I often forgot that I was watching a film from 2007! Also, the dialogue is totally hilarious. I only wish that more movies like this were made today!



5 comments:

  1. Looks like an interesting film!

    Love
    Aimee
    x

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks like a really cool film. I'd like to see that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cool Bloggy Girl! I like it!
    xo
    Laurel

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks amazing! It is now officially at the top of my Netflix queue. Thanks for the suggestion!

    Hugs,
    Kara of Carnivorous Deer Vintage

    ReplyDelete